LST-1038 was laid down on 29 October 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 6 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Elwood Printz; and commissioned on 5 February 1945, Lt. Julius Wood in command.
During World War II, LST-1038 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She then operated as a training ship for naval reservists in the New York area. Decommissioned in 1949, LST-1038 was assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet berthed at Green Cove Springs, Fla. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Monroe County (LST-1038) (q.v.) after counties in 17 states. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958.
LST-1038 earned one battle star for World War II service.