Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-1018

 

LST-1018 was laid down on 31 March 1944 at Quincy, Mass., by the Bethlehem Steel Co.; launched on 6 May 1944; and commissioned on 14 May 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-1018 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Morotai landings—September 1944

Leyte landings—November 1944

Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945

Mindanao Island landings—April 1945

Balikpapan operation—June and July 1945

 

Following the war, LST-1018 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-January 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 16 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947. On 24 June 1948, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.

 

LST-1018 earned five battle stars for World War II service.