Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-1016

 

LST-1016 was laid down on 25 March 1944 at Quincy, Mass., by the Bethlehem Steel Co.; launched on 25 April; and commissioned on 10 May 1944, Lt. John W. Chapman, USNR, in command.

 

During World War II, LST-1016 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the Mindanao Island landings in April 1945 and the Balikpapan operation in June and July 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 26 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 9 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Learner Co., Oakland, Calif., for scrapping.

 

LST-1016 earned two battle stars for World War II service.