Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-1006

 

LST-1006 was laid down on 5 February 1944 at Quincy, Mass., by the Bethlehem Steel Co.; launched on 11 March 1944; and commissioned on 12 April 1944, Lt. Vardy D. Garvey in command.

 

During World War II, LST-1006 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Leyte landings—October 1944

Zambales-Subic Bay—January 1945

Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April through June 1945

 

Following the war, LST-1006 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 26 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 14 June 1948, the ship was sold to Steele Powers for operation.

 

LST-1006 earned three battle stars for World War II service.