Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-998

 

LST-998 was laid down on 8 April 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 14 May 1944; sponsored by Miss Olga M. Lessa; and commissioned on 29 May 1944, Lt. R. W. Barter, USNR, in command.

 

Following World War II, LST-998 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 26 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 4 November 1948, the ship was sold to the Northwest Merchandising Service for operation.