LST-997 was laid down on 27 March 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 12 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Victoria V. Lynn; and commissioned on 27 May 1944, Lt. L. R. Dhuyvetter, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-997 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 7 March 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 4 April that same year. On 15 June 1948, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.
LST-997 earned one battle star for World War II service.