LST-996 was laid down on 27 March 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 2 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Ursula A. Hall; and commissioned on 23 May 1944, Ens. C. A. Leach, Jr., USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-996 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater, she engaged in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April through June 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 22 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 May that same year. On 12 October 1947, the ship was sold to the Hugo Neu Steel Products Corp., New York, N.Y., for scrapping.
LST-996 earned two battle stars for World War II service.