LST-988 was laid down on 10 February 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 12 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Winfred K. Buckmaster; and commissioned on 25 April 1944, Lt. (jg.) Charles E. Craig in command.
During World War II, LST-988 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. LST-988 served as a Naval Reserve training ship until decommissioned on 13 June 1950 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 7 June 1951, LST-988 operated as a unit of the Atlantic Fleet in the Atlantic, Caribbean, and the Mediterranean. On 1 July 1955, she was re-designated Mineral County (LST-988) (q.v.) after counties in Colorado, Montana, Nevada, and West Virginia. On 11 October 1957, Mineral County was decommissioned once again and stripped preparatory to her sinking as a target ship. She was struck from the Navy list on 27 September 1957.
LST-988 earned one battle star for World War II service.