LST-987 was laid down on 2 February 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 5 March 1944; and commissioned on 19 April 1944, Lt William H. Pennington in command.
Following World War II, LST-987 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. She was decommissioned on 3 September 1946, but she continued training of Naval Reserves. LST-987 entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla., in May 1950. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Millard County (LST-987) (q.v.) after a county in western Utah. The ship was struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1960 and sold to the Federal German Navy in August 1961.