LST-983 was laid down on 22 December 1943 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 10 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Neal B. Farwell; and commissioned on 25 March 1944, Lt. Woodrow W. Weir, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-983 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-983 performed extensive service with the Amphibious Fleet, Atlantic. Renamed Middlesex County (LST-983) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after counties in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Virginia, she was decommissioned on 10 January 1956 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 27 September 1961, Middlesex County operated in the Atlantic and Caribbean until decommissioning for the last time on 15 October 1969.
LST-983 earned one battle star for World War II service.
LST-983, with LST-601 in the background, launches a Marine LVTP-5 for a waterborne landing. When carrying amphibious tractors, an LST could land her payload from offshore without beaching. Today's Newport (LST-1179)-class ships can debark amphibious vehicles from their stern gates.