Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-981

 

LST-981 was laid down on 9 December 1943 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 27 January 1944; sponsored by Miss Helen Madden; and commissioned on 11 March 1944, Lt. Clyde A. Wilson in command.

 

During World War II, LST-981 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater, she engaged in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the

 

Par East until mid-May 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 30 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 12 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Salco Iron & Metal Co. for scrapping.

 

LST-981 earned two battle stars for World War II service.