LST-980 was laid down on 9 December 1943 at the Boston Naval Shipyard; launched on 27 January 1944; sponsored by Miss Imelda M. Munzing; and commissioned on 26 February 1944, Lt. W. F. Westfall in command.
During World War II, LST-980 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-980 saw extensive service with the Amphibious Fleet, Atlantic. Named Meeker County (LST-980) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after a county in Minnesota, she was decommissioned on 16 December 1955 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Modernized and recommissioned on 23 September 1966, the tank landing ship operated in the Vietnam theater commencing in 1967 and ending in 1970.
LST-980 earned one battle star for World War II service and nine battle stars, the Meritorious Unit Commendation, and the Navy Unit Commendation for Vietnam service.