Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-979

 

LST-979 was laid down on 19 December 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 23 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. A. H. Balsley; and commissioned on 20 February 1945, Lt. Hunter A. Hogan, Jr., USNR, in command.

 

Following World War II, LST-979 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 5 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 4 November 1947, the ship was sold to the Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, Calif., for scrapping.