Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-978

 

LST-978 was laid down on 15 December 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 20 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Anna H. Phelan; and commissioned on 15 February 1945.

 

Following World War II, LST-978 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 6 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 10 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Salco Iron & Metal Co. for scrapping.