LST-975 was laid down on 1 December 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 6 January 1945; sponsored by Miss Alice J. Varian; and commissioned on 3 February 1945, Lt. David S. Stanley in command.
Arriving in the Asiatic-Pacific theater at the end of the war, LST-975 conveyed troops and equipment between Philippine ports until she was decommissioned on 16 April 1946 at Subic Bay and turned over to the Army for Far East operations. She was recommissioned on 28 August 1950 and saw extensive service during the Korean War. The tank landing ship was named Marion County (LST-975) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after counties in 17 states. She alternated service with the Navy and MSTS until transferred under the Military Assistance Program to the Republic of Vietnam on 12 April 1962. Marion County operated with that country's navy as Cam Rank (HQ-500). She was struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1963.
LST-975 earned six battle stars for Korean service.