LST-970 was laid down on 14 November 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 16 December 1944; sponsored by Major Anne B. Cowan, WAC; and commissioned on 13 January 1945.
During World War II, LST-970 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 10 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 25 April 1947, the ship was sold to Trailerships, Inc., for operation.
LST-970 earned one battle star for World War II service.