LST-968 was laid down on 7 November 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 9 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John S. Eversole; and commissioned on 3 January 1945, Lt. (jg.) Rayburn M. Quinn in command.
Following World War II, LST-968 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommisseioned on 2 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 10 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Humble Oil and Refining Co., Houston, Tex., for operation.