LST-953 was laid down on 15 September 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 15 October 1944; and commissioned on 7 November 1944, Lt. T. W. Sexton in command.
During World War II, LST-953 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Marinette County (LST-953) (q.v.) after a county in northeastern Wisconsin. Earlier, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. Decommissioned on 12 November 1946 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Marinette County was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958.
LST-953 earned one battle star for World War II service.