Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-949

 

LST-949 was laid down on 29 August 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 30 September 1944; and commissioned on 23 October 1944, Lt. Thomas J. Twohig, USNR, in command.

 

During World War II, LST-949 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. On 15 September 1945, she was redesignated LSTH-949 and performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-April 1946. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 18 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 30 June 1948, she was sold to the Humble Oil & Refining Co., of Houston, Tex., for operation.

 

LST-949 earned one battle star for World War II service.