LST-946 was laid down on 15 August 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 20 September 1944; sponsored by Miss Nancy Ruth Kerr; and commissioned on 12 October 1944, Ens. D. A. Schlarbaum in command.
During World War II, LST-946 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from March through May 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 25 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 25 May 1948, the ship was sold to the California Co. for operation.
LST-946 earned one battle star for World War II service.