Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-944

 

LST-944 was laid down on 11 August 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 13 September 1944; and commissioned on 4 October 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-944 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in February 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 19 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 8 January 1946. On 26 September 1947, the ship was sold to the Boston Metals Co., of Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.

 

LST-944 earned two battle stars for World War II service.