LST-940 was laid down on 25 July 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 26 August 1944; and commissioned on 20 September 1944.
During World War II, LST-940 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in February 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early April 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 13 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 13 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Walter W. Johnson Co. for scrapping.
LST-940 earned two battle stars for World War II service.