LST-938 was laid down an 14 July 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 15 August 1944; and commissioned on 9 September 1944, Ens. W. H. Limes in command.
During World War II, LST-938 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the Mindanao Island landings in March and April 1945 and the Balikpapan operation in June and July 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-May 1946. After serving as a Naval Reserve training ship, LST-938 was decommissioned in December 1949 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 14 December 1951, she served as a Marine Corps training ship and was redesignated Maricopa County (LST-938) (q.v.) after a county in Arizona. She was decommissioned again on 29 February 1956. Maricopa County was struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1962 and transferred to the Vietnamese Navy on 12 July that same year where she served as Da Nang (HQ-501).
LST-938 earned two battle stars for World War II service.