LST-917 was laid down on 31 March 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 6 May 1944; and commissioned on 28 May 1944.
During World War II, LST-917 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Leyte landings—October 1944
Morotai landings—December 1944 and January 1945
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Mindanao Island landings—January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—March and April 1945
Following the war, LST-917 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 24 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 19 May 1948, the ship was sold to Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., for scrapping.
LST-917 earned five battle stars for World War II service.