LST-914 was laid down on 16 February 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 18 April 1944; and commissioned on 18 May 1944, Lt. A. W. Meyer in command.
During World War II, LST-914 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-November 1945.
LST-914 was decommissioned on 26 June 1946 and loaned to the Army. Reverting to Navy control, LST-914 was recomissioned on 26 August 1950 and performed extensive service during the Korean War. Following the war, she conducted deployments to the western Pacific in 1954, 1956, and 1958. During this period, on 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Mahoning County (LST-914) (g.v.) after a county in Ohio. Decommissioned again on 5 September 1959, Mahoning County was sold to Zidell Explorations, Portland, Oreg., on 22 June 1960 for scrapping.
LST-914 earned two battle stars for World War II service and four battle stars and one award of the Navy Unit Commendation for the Korean War.