Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-904

 

LST-904 was laid down on 12 November 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 23 December 1944; sponsored by Miss Betty McCallen; and commissioned on 25 January 1945, Lt. James L. Randies, Jr., in command.

 

During World War II, LST-904 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. The ship was decommissioned on 15 November 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Lyon County (LST-904) (q.v.) after counties in Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, and Nevada. Lyon County was nominated as a target for destruction on 20 October 1958 and struck from the Navy list on 1 November that same year. She was sunk off the coast of Washington by Capitaine (SS-336) on 13 May 1959.

 

LST-904 earned one battle star for World War II service.