Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-903

 

LST-903 was laid down on 15 October 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 23 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. E. W. Wilson; and commissioned on 20 January 1945, Lt. John B. Darrow in command.

 

Following World War II, LST-903 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. She was decommissioned on 10 September 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Lynian County (LST-903) (q.v.) after a county in South Dakota. Lyman County was designated a target ship on 20 October 1958 and struck from the Navy list on 1 November that same year. She was torpedoed and sunk by Menhaden (SS-377) on 28 March 1959 off the coast of Baja California.