LST-902 was laid down on 5 November 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 16 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Michael Grom; and commissioned on 15 January 1945, Lt. Everett J. Bondesen in command.
Following World War II, LST-902 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. She was decommissioned on 3 August 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. The ship was recommissioned on 18 January 1952 and saw service during the Korean War and with the Pacific Fleet thereafter. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Luzerne County (LST-902) (q.v.) after a county in eastern Pennsylvania. She was decommissioned on 30 November 1955 but was recommissioned once again on 29 March 1963 and operated extensively in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War. Decommissioned for the final time, Luzerne County was struck from the Navy list on 12 August 1970.
LST-902 earned two battle stars for the Korean War and one award of the Meritorious Unit Commendation and 12 battle stars for Vietnam service.