LST-901 was laid down on 29 October 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 9 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. S. A. Evans; and commissioned on 11 January 1945, Lt. C. A. Henson in command.
Following World War II, LST-901 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early September 1945. She was decommissioned on 9 August 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 30 November 1951, LST-901 saw extensive service during the Korean War and the Vietnam War. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Litchfield County (LST-901) (q.v.) after a county in northwestern Connecticut. Decommissioned again on 6 December 1969, Litchfield County was sold to John S. Latsis, Inc., New York, N.Y., on 14 January 1977.
LST-901 earned two battle stars for the Korean War, and one award of the Navy Unit Commendation, one award of the Meritorious Unit Commendation, and six battle stars for Vietnam service.