Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-899

 

LST-899 was laid down on 22 October 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 2 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. F. W. Trevorrow; and commissioned on 1 January 1945, Lt. A. H. Thornton in command.

 

Following World War II, LST-899 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 15 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 5 December 1947, the ship v/as sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.