LST-898 was laid down on 15 October 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 25 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. B. Mahwhinney; and commissioned on 29 December 1944, Lt. D. W. Kallock in command.
During World War II, LST-898 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-March 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 9 May 1946 and transferred to the Army. Recommissioned on 28 August 1950, LST-898 performed extensive service during the Korean War and with the Pacific Fleet thereafter. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Lincoln County (LST-898) (q.v.) after counties in 24 states of the United States. Decommissioned again on 24 March 1961, Lincoln County was transferred to the Royal Thai Navy on 31 August 1962 where she served as Cheng (LST-2).
LST-898 earned one battle star for World War II service and six for the Korean War.