LST-897 was laid down on 19 September 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 25 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Henry B. Taliaferro; and commissioned on 22 December 1944, Lt. Peter K. Peterson, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-897 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-March 1946. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 23 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 15 June 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to Steel Powers for operation.
LST-897 earned one battle star for World War II service.