Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-896

 

LST-896 was laid down on 6 October 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 18 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Russell D. Sttrouse; and commissioned on 20 December 1944, Lt. Vinton C. Vint in command.

 

Following World War II, LST-896 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early December 1945. She was decommissioned on 3 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 3 January 1946. Her typhoon-damaged hulk was destroyed on 8 March 1946.