LST-891 was laid down on 21 August 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 28 October 1944; sponsored by Miss Edyth Cole; and commissioned on 27 November 1944, Lt. James F. Brown in command.
During World War II, LST-891 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 2 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 29 August 1947, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.
LST-891 earned one battle star for World War II service.