Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-890

 

LST-890 was laid down on 10 September 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 21 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Andrew Hetherington; and commissioned on 24 November 1944.

 

During World War II, LS7VS90 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 24 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 10 June 1948, the ship was sold to Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., for scrapping.

 

LST-890 earned one battle star for World War II service.