LST-888 was laid down on 11 August 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 14 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Richard Connell; and commissioned on 13 November 1944, Lt. Walter V. Harlin in command.
During World War II, LST-888 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from March through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 2 September and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla. On 1 July 1955, LST-888 was redesignated Lee County (LST-888) (q.v.) after counties in 12 states of the United States. Struck from the Navy list on 21 September 1960, the ship was sold to Gulf Tampa Drydock, Inc., Tampa, Fla., on 18 April 1961 for scrapping.
LST-888 earned one battle star for World War II service.