LST-887 was laid down on 27 August 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 7 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. F. J. Conrpy; and commissioned on 7 November 1944, Lt. Loring O. Chandler, USCGR, in command.
During World War II, LST-887 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until late October 1945. The ship was decommissioned on 23 July 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 3 November 1950, LST-887 performed extensive service during the Korean War and with the Pacific Fleet thereafter. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Lawrence County (LST-887) (g.v.) after counties in 11 states of the United States. Decommissioned again on 22 March 1960, Lawrence County was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1960 and sold to the Indonesian Navy where she served as Tandjung Nusanixe (LST-1).
LST-887 earned one battle star for World War II service and three for the Korean War.