LST-885 was laid down on 13 August 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 23 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Alvin H. Tutt; and commissioned on 26 October 1944.
During World War II, LST-885 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in March and April 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until late November 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 29 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 16 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Tex-0-Kan Flour Mills Co., Dallas, Tex., for operation.
LST-885 earned one battle star for World War II service.