Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-881

 

LST-881 was laid down on 10 November 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 20 December 1944; sponsored by Miss Pat Shobe; and commissioned on 15 January 1945.

 

Following World War II, LST-881 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late September 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 14 February 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 5 March that same year. On 24 November 1947, the ship was sold to E. G. Fontes & Co. for operation.