LST-880 was laid down on 6 November 1944 at Evansville. Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 16 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. L. H. Quigley; and commissioned on 9 January 1945, Lt. (jg.) James T. Connolly in command.
Following World War II, LST-880 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She was decommissioned on 1 October 1946 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla. Recommissioned on 20 August 1951, LST-880 served with the Atlantic Fleet, including occupation duty in Europe, from June through November 1952. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Lake County (LST-880) (q.v.) after counties in 12 states. She was decommissioned on 25 November 1958. Declared unfit for further service, Lake County was used as a target ship for destruction.