LST-879 was laid down on 2 November 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 13 December 1944; launched by Mrs. Rella G. Heath; and commissioned on 5 January 1945.
During World War II, LST-879 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-November 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 26 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 17 May 1948, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-879 earned one battle star for World War II service.