LST-868 was laid down on 31 October 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machinery Co.; launched on 6 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Beatrice C. Hanley; and commissioned on 30 December 1944.
During World War II, LST-868 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. LST-868 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 9 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 10 June 1947. On 19 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Northern Metals Co., Philadelphia, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-868 earned one battle star for World War II service.