Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-866

 

LST-866 was laid down on 14 October 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 27 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Nellie Meehan; and commissioned on 21 December 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-866 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early April

1946. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 27 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 25 September 1947, she was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash,, and subsequently scrapped.

 

LST-866 received one battle star for World War II service.