Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-864

 

LST-864 was laid down on 3 October 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 18 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Viola J. Wathen; and commissioned on 13 December 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-864 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-January 1947. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 1 May 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 22 May that same year. On 26 June 1948, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.

 

LST-864 received one battle star for World War II service.