LST-86'2 was laid down on 26 September 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 9 November 1944; sponsored by Miss Angela Tolkacz; and commissioned on 4 December 1944, Lt. R. N. Moffett, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-862 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. The tank landing ship was decommissioned in early 1946 and transferred to the Maritime Administration for disposal on 10 October 1947.
LST-862 received one battle star for World War II service.