LST-861 was laid down on 18 September 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 4 November 1944; sponsored by Miss Frances K. Gadjen; and commissioned on 30 November 1944.
During World War II, LST-861 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, LST-861 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 10 March 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 4 April that same year. On 10 June 1948, the ship was sold to Kaiser Co., Inc., Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-861 received one battle star for World War II service.