LST-856 was laid down on 16 September 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 1 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Patricia Wiegand; and commissioned on 23 December 1944, Lt. Arthur E. Fisher in command.
During World War II, LST-856 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-February 1946. The tank landing ship returned to the United states and was decommissioned on 29 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 5 May 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., Bethlehem, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-856 received one battle star for World War II service.