LST-855 was laid down on 6 September 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 27 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Jeanne H. Hoerner; and commissioned on 21 December 1944, Lt. (jg.) Thomas P. Kierl in command.
Following World War II, LST-855 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-June 1949. The ship was decommissioned on 15 February 1950. On 3 November 1950, LST-855 was recommissioned and performed extensive service during the Korean War. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Kent County (LST-855) (q.v.) after counties in Delaware, Maryland, Michigan, Rhode Island, and Texas.
Following post-Korean operations with the Pacific Fleet, Kent County was again decommissioned on 22 January 1958 and destroyed as a target on 19 March that same year. She was struck from the Navy list on 19 March 1958.
LST-855 earned six battle stars for the Korean War.