Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-853

 

LST-853 was laid down on 30 August 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 17 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Ellen Scott De-Coursey; and commissioned on 11 December 1944, Lt. Charles B. Salsbury in command.

 

During World War II, LST-85S was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 24 July 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Kane County (LST-853) (q.v.) after counties in Illinois and Utah. Kane County was transferred to the Republic of Korea Navy on 22 December 1958 where she served as Su Yong (LST-813).

 

LST-853 earned one battle star for World War II service.