LST-851 was laid down on 10 August 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 8 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Gertrude B. Van Trigt; and commissioned on 30 November 1944, Lt. Leo T. Tyburski in command.
During World War II, LST-851 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 24 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 May that same year. On 30 September 1946, LST-851 was sold to the Northwest Merchandising Service, Seattle, Wash.
LST-851 earned one battle star for World War II service.